Allergic Contact Dermatitis

ACD rashes may present in many different forms.

Allergic contact dermatitis (ACD) is a kind of skin rash caused by an allergic reaction to a material, called an allergen, that contacts the skin. In an allergic reaction, a rash usually occurs 12-72 hours after exposure to the allergen. You may be exposed to an allergen for years without any reaction before developing

Poison ivy is a common allergan that causes ACD.hypersensitivity.

ACD may present as itchy, red, scaly plaques, usually localized to skin areas that have come into contact with the allergen. Common ACD allergens include nickel, cobalt, fragrances, hair dyes, cosmetics, poison ivy/oak/sumac, neomycin, formaldehyde, bacitracin and rubber.

Treatment Options

Self-care options for mild ACDs include over-the-counter oral antihistamines like Benadryl, and hydrocortizone creams. If these provide no relief, we recommend a multi-pronged approach, customized for your particular situation:

Poison ivy is a common allergen.

1) Identify the allergen

  • When the allergen is unknown, we can perform a patch test to identify it.

2) Avoid the allergen

  • Avoid known allergens and use gentle, fragrance-free products as much as possible,

 2) Treat skin inflammation

  • We can prescribe topical steroids to provide treatment and relief of ACD rashes,

 3) Protect skin with moisturizing

  • Just like with dry skin and eczema, we recommend that you moisturize with a thick cream or emollient twice daily, especially after bathing.
  • This helps strengthen the skin barrier and prevents entry of allergens.

Common rashes caused by allergic contact dermatitis can be managed effectively with smart treatment. To get started, call us at (303) 604-1444 or request an appointment online.

When To
Call Us

Not all rashes should be treated equally. Rashes can appear as welts, blisters or blotches, they can be pink or red, itchy, scaly, or dry. They can occur in one area of skin or all over the body. In addition, some rashes come and go, while others linger. Some rashes are harmless and will go away with time and over-the-counter self care treatments. Others can indicate underlying health issues or infections. The best way to correctly diagnose and treat a rash is to come and see us for an evaluation.

REQUEST APPOINTMENT

or call (303) 604-1444