How your dermatologist in Lafayette, CO, can help if you suffer from psoriasis.
Psoriasis isn’t like a common skin rash. It’s an autoimmune condition that causes your body to make skin cells too quickly, resulting in itchy, scaly patches on your skin. Psoriasis can make you self-conscious about your skin. Fortunately, your dermatologist can help you deal with psoriasis.
Dr. Thomas Casey Gallagher at Boulder Valley Center for Dermatology in Lafayette, CO, provides a wide range of skincare solutions, including treatment of psoriasis. He proudly serves residents of Lafayette, Boulder, and Brighton, CO.
Your dermatologist will customize your treatment, according to how much of your body is affected by psoriasis:
For mild psoriasis, affecting less than 3% of your body, your dermatologist may recommend:
- Over-the-counter or prescription bath treatments, shampoos, and moisturizing creams
- Prescription-strength topical steroid creams to control itching and slow skin cell growth
- Laser therapy to help get rid of psoriasis patches
For moderate psoriasis, affecting 3% to 10% of your body, or severe psoriasis, which affects over 10% of your body, your dermatologist may recommend:
- Prescription-strength oral medications including cyclosporine and methotrexate, to reduce inflammation and lower skin cell production
- Biologic drugs, which work to suppress an overactive immune system; biologics are used for the most severe cases of psoriasis.
- Light therapy to get rid of psoriasis patches; natural light, phototherapy, or lasers are used.
Remember that psoriasis isn’t just any common skin condition, and it won’t go away on its own. Psoriasis patches can be uncomfortable and cause you to be self-conscious about showing your skin. Your dermatologist can help minimize the effects of psoriasis and clear up your skin.
To learn more about what can be done for psoriasis, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Thomas Casey Gallagher at Boulder Valley Center for Dermatology in Lafayette, CO, serving residents of Lafayette, Boulder, and Brighton, CO. You can reach him in the office by calling (303) 604-1444 (Boulder), (303) 604-1444 (Brighton), or (303) 604-1444 (Lafayette), so call now.