How your dermatologists in Lafayette, Boulder, and Brighton, CO, can help you get relief from psoriasis
Psoriasis can be annoying, itchy, and uncomfortable. It can also make you self-conscious about exposing your skin. Psoriasis can affect your self-confidence too. The good news is, help from your dermatologist is just a phone call away.
Dr. Thomas Casey Gallagher at Boulder Valley Center for Dermatology in Lafayette, CO, provides comprehensive medical and cosmetic skincare services, including psoriasis treatment. He proudly serves residents of Lafayette, Boulder, and Brighton, CO.
Psoriasis is an autoimmune skin condition that causes your body to make skin cells too rapidly. The excess skin cells result in scaly, itchy patches on your body. Psoriasis patches can show up on your scalp, elbows, knees, and other parts of your body.
Psoriasis can be classified as mild, moderate, or severe, depending on how much of your body is affected by psoriasis patches.
In mild psoriasis, scaly patches are on less than 3% of your body. Mild psoriasis can be treated with:
- Prescription strength shampoos, bath treatments, and moisturizing creams
- Prescription strength topical medications with steroids, to provide relief from itching
- Laser or light treatment to limit or get rid of psoriasis patches
For moderate psoriasis, scaly patches affect 3% to 10% of your body. Severe psoriasis affects over 10% of your body. For both moderate and severe psoriasis, your dermatologist may recommend:
- Prescription strength oral medications such as methotrexate or cyclosporine; these medications reduce inflammation and reduce production of skin cells.
- Biologic drugs to suppress your immune system; this class of drugs are often used for severe psoriasis cases.
- Light or laser therapy to limit or eliminate scaly psoriasis patches.
You don’t have to let psoriasis take over your life. Get some help from your dermatologist. To learn more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of psoriasis, call Dr. Thomas Casey Gallagher at Boulder Valley Center for Dermatology in Lafayette, CO, serving residents of Lafayette, Boulder, and Brighton, CO. You can reach him in the office by calling (303) 604-1444, so call now.